O discord is a very popular chat application among gamers, however it does not work natively with consoles such as Xbox one and the Xbox Series X and Series S. There is an integration between the systems for status updates, but to use voice chat while playing, you have to resort to some tricks. Learn how to use Discord on Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S below.
How to Use Discord on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
Discord has a feature to connect the user’s account with the Xbox account, but it is quite limited, it basically boils down to informing your friends in the chat app what you are playing, whether on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Xbox 360 or PC. Such an integration does not have features to play and open a chat at the same time.
To integrate Discord with your Xbox console, do the following:
- On Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S, click on your avatar and then on “Settings”;
- Under “Account”, click on “Linked Social Accounts”;
- In “Discord”, click “Link”;
- On the next screen, press the “A” button;
- A 6-digit PIN will be displayed on the screen, to be entered in the Discord app;
- Open Discord, go to “Settings” and click or tap on “Connections”;
- Click or tap “Add” and then “Xbox Live”;
- Enter the 6-digit PIN and confirm.
Once this is done, Discord and Xbox accounts will be linked, but only for status display. To use audio chat while playing, you can use two methods.
Method 1: headset + mixamp (Xbox One only)
This method only works with Xbox One as it requires an optical audio port, which is absent on Xbox Series X and Series S.
The mixamp is an accessory that works like a mixer when mixing sound from two sources, in this case Xbox One and PC. You will connect the console, the PC and the headset to it, which will play the audio from both devices.
Kits like the ASTRO A40 TR headset, which comes with the Mixamp Pro TR (above), are ideal for using Discord with Xbox One, but be aware that the set comes with a hefty price tag.
In addition to the headset and mixamp, you will need a male/male P2 cable and an optical audio cable.
To use Discord on Xbox One, do the following:
- Connect the optical audio cable to the mixamp;
- Plug the other end of the cable into the Xbox One’s optical port;
- On the console, go to “Settings”, “General”, “Volume and Audio Output”;
- In the “Speaker Audio” menu, under “HDMI Audio”, select “Off”;
- In “Optical audio”, select “Bitstream output”;
- On the mixamp, leave the mode switch in the “PC” position;
- Connect the mixamp to the computer via USB port;
- Connect the P2 male/male cable to the P2 port of the mixamp and the sound output of the computer;
- Open Discord, click on “Settings”, “Voice and Video”;
- Under “Input Device”, select the mixamp;
- In “Output Device”, select PC sound;
- Connect the headset to the mixamp.
Once this is done, you will hear Xbox One and Discord chat sound on the headset at the same time.
Method 2: Xbox Console Companion
The second way to use Discord on Xbox One, which is also compatible with Xbox Series X|S, is with Xbox Console Companion, an app that lets you broadcast your console’s screen to a Windows computer.
You will need an Xbox controller connected to your computer, which can be from the Xbox Series or Xbox One lines, or even the Xbox 360.
- Go to microsoft.com, download and install the Xbox Console Companion app;
- Open the app and log in with the same Microsoft account used on your Xbox console;
- Click on “Connection” (the Xbox console icon) and then on “Stream”;
- The Xbox One screen will play on the computer;
- Connect the headset to the computer;
- Open Discord and join a voice chat.
- Once that’s done, you’ll be chatting on Discord and playing on Xbox One or Series X|S at the same time.