O discord is a text, voice and video chat app that was originally created for gamers, but today is also used as a professional team organization tool. It allows you to make video calls between friends, members of the same group or server, both on desktop and mobile. Learn how to make a video call on Discord in our guide below.
How to make a video call on Discord
Before making a Discord video call on your computer, you need to configure your camera so that the software recognizes it. If you are using Discord on your phone or tablet, the app will use the front camera by default, and the following procedure is not necessary.
Do the following:
- Connect the webcam to your computer;
- On your computer, open the Discord app or go to discord.com/app;
- Click on “Settings” (the gear icon);
- Click on “Voice and Video”;
- Under “Video Settings”, select the webcam from the “Camera” menu.
If you are using the web version of Discord, you will need to authorize the browser to use the camera;
- Click “Test Video” to see a preview of the camera.
To make a video call on Discord, do the following:
on the computer
- Right-click on the photo of the person or group you want to chat with;
- Click on “Profile”, then on the three dots, finally, on “Message”;
- Inside the message screen, click on the camera icon at the top of the screen;
- Discord will open your camera and call the other user;
- Click the “Add” button above the call and select friends or other people you’ve already interacted with if you want to add them to the conversation.
On the cellphone
- Tap the photo of the person or group you want to chat with;
- Tap “Video”.
How to make a call on the server
By default, one server has both text and video chats, with the second one also allowing you to use the camera in conversations. When starting a video chat on the server, any user with permission will be able to access the chat.
It’s up to the server administrator to decide which roles can video call on Discord, or start a conversation.
- On the server screen, click or tap the chat on “Voice channels”.
On mobile, tap “Join voice call” to confirm;
- Click “Video” or tap the video icon on the cell phone to turn on the camera;
- Click “Create Invitation” to call more users to the call.
On mobile, the option is called “Invite friends”.
With information: Discord.