It’s possible to have different names for Discord servers, a unique feature that allows user to identify themselves the way they see fit. So you can have a more formal name on a business channel and a nickname on a game server. Here’s how to have different names for Discord servers with different themes.
How to have different names for Discord servers
Discord has a number of customization options, including a very interesting one, which is to use a nickname for each server the user is a part of.
However, there are some caveats: any user can click on the profile name and view the real name and, if the server administrator turns off the command to change the nickname to the position in which the user is, it will not be possible to change it. .
At the same time, Discord continues to call the user with the changed name to the original name. Thus, it is possible to refer to a user by the original at sign, even if he has changed his nickname. The software will do the same.
To use different names on Discord servers, do the following:
- Open Discord and access the desired server;
- Click the arrow (desktop) or tap the three dots (mobile) next to the server name;
- Click or tap on “Change nickname”;
- Enter the new nickname and click on “Save”;
- Repeat the steps for each server that wants to use different aliases.
How to prevent users from using different names (admin)
Discord server administrators can turn off the option that allows certain users to change their nicknames, forcing them to communicate only with their original nicknames.
See how to do it:
- Open Discord and click/tap the arrow/three dots next to the server name;
- Click or tap “Config. of the server”;
- Click or tap on “Positions” and select the role you want to change;
- Turn off the “Change Nickname” switch.
By default, the role “Everyone” (the basic user) does not have permission to change nicknames, while in the “Members,” the option is turned on. Finally, the admin equivalent role has the “Manage nicknames” option turned on, which grants the power to change nicknames. However, it only works if it is turned on by the admin.
Anyway, the administrator can change these assignments freely.